Frequently Asked Questions for Sessionals

As a Ses­sion­al Lec­tur­er and URFA mem­ber, you have rights and priv­i­leges grant­ed to you as part of your Col­lec­tive Agree­ment. The fol­low­ing are some fre­quent­ly asked ques­tions for Ses­sion­al Lec­tur­ers devel­oped by the URFA Ses­sion­al Advo­ca­cy Com­mit­tee.

Do Ses­sion­als qual­i­fy for Employ­ment Insurance?

Ses­sion­als may qual­i­fy for employ­ment insur­ance. Employ­ment insur­ance is cal­cu­lat­ed accord­ing to year­ly employ­ment hours. Most ses­sion­als who teach 4 cours­es over a 2‑semester peri­od will be eli­gi­ble to receive a week­ly ben­e­fit rate through EI. Once your last con­tract is com­plet­ed, con­tact­ed Human Resources to con­firm that your record of employ­ment has been sub­mit­ted to EI.

For more infor­ma­tion call 18002067218 or vis­it the Human Resources and Social Devel­op­ment Cana­da Web­site at www​.hrs​dc​.gc​.ca.

What are the For­mal Writ­ten Pro­ce­dures for Hiring?

All Col­lec­tive Bar­gain­ing Agree­ments indi­cate that all Aca­d­e­m­ic Units or Col­leges shall have for­mal writ­ten pro­ce­dures for mak­ing rec­om­men­da­tions for, and appoint­ments of, ses­sion­als. These pro­ce­dures shall at a min­i­mum stip­u­late what role the unit/​College assigns to expe­ri­ence. These pro­ce­dures will be reviewed and updat­ed every third year fol­low­ing con­sul­ta­tion in com­mit­tee. A copy of the pro­ce­dures shall be pro­vid­ed to the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion and, upon request, to any­one apply­ing for a ses­sion­al posi­tion in the aca­d­e­m­ic unit/​College. All adver­tise­ments for ses­sion­al appoint­ments shall indi­cate that a writ­ten copy of the appoint­ment pro­ce­dures is avail­able upon request.

If you have request­ed these pro­ce­dures and have been denied, please con­tact the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion.

Will I still be paid if a course is cancelled?

If a course offered through the Cen­tre for Con­tin­u­ing Edu­ca­tion is can­celled less than 15 days pri­or to when it is sched­uled to begin, the ses­sion­al lec­tur­er shall be com­pen­sat­ed one third of the appro­pri­ate stipend. 

For cours­es at the U of R, Cam­pi­on, or Luther, if can­celled less than one month pri­or to when they are sched­uled to begin, ses­sion­al lec­tur­ers shall be com­pen­sat­ed one quar­ter of the appro­pri­ate stipends. This is indi­cat­ed in the Col­lec­tive Agree­ment, Arti­cle 12.8 (U of R) and Arti­cle 12.7 (Luther and Campion).

Ses­sion­als at FNUniv are com­pen­sat­ed one-tenth of the stipend indi­cat­ed in the orig­i­nal let­ter of offer if a course is can­celled fol­low­ing accep­tance of a con­tract, one quar­ter of the stipend if a course is can­celled with­in 21 days pri­or to com­mence­ment of the course, and one half of the stipend if a course is can­celled fol­low­ing com­mence­ment of the semester.

If you have any ques­tions regard­ing this, please con­tact the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion.

Am I able to be reim­bursed for any course expenses?

Ses­sion­al Aca­d­e­m­ic Staff Mem­bers at the U of R are reim­bursed up to $250 for expens­es allow­able through the Cana­di­an Rev­enue Agency. The amount is per course and per semes­ter. You are urged to sub­mit your receipts to your fac­ul­ty admin­is­tra­tor and/​or Dean, and inform the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion regard­ing any prob­lems with reimbursement.

Ses­sion­al Aca­d­e­m­ic Staff Mem­bers at Cam­pi­on Col­lege are eli­gi­ble for reim­burse­ment for approved expens­es relat­ed to a spe­cif­ic course to which they have been appoint­ed to a max­i­mum of $250 per course per semes­ter (Appen­dix A, Item 10.1.1 in the Cam­pi­on Col­lege Col­lec­tive Agreement).

Ses­sion­al Aca­d­e­m­ic Staff Mem­bers at Luther Col­lege are eli­gi­ble for reim­burse­ment for approved expens­es relat­ed to a spe­cif­ic course to which they have been appoint­ed to a max­i­mum of $200 per course per semes­ter (Appen­dix A, Item 10.1.3 in the Luther Col­lege Col­lec­tive Agreement).

Please sub­mit your receipts to the Dean of the appro­pri­ate col­lege and inform the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion of any prob­lems with reimbursement. 

FNUniv Ses­sion­al Aca­d­e­m­ic Staff Mem­bers receive $100 per course on their first pay­cheque for expenses.

As a Ses­sion­al, do I have access to research and con­fer­ence funds?

As a ses­sion­al lec­tur­er, you do not have an Aca­d­e­m­ic and Pro­fes­sion­al Expense Account (APEA) to use for research or attend­ing con­fer­ences. In addi­tion, adver­tised fund­ing com­pe­ti­tions are, as a rule, restrict­ed to tenured and tenure track pro­fes­sors and instructors.

Effec­tive July 1, 2019, Uni­ver­si­ty of Regi­na ses­sion­als with pri­or­i­ty sta­tus may apply to the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion for funds in order to sup­port their pro­fes­sion­al devel­op­ment for costs asso­ci­at­ed with cre­ative, schol­ar­ly, or pro­fes­sion­al works. Accept­able expens­es may include reg­is­tra­tion, trav­el, pub­li­ca­tion fees, or dis­ci­pline spe­cif­ic equiv­a­lents. Appli­ca­tions will be sub­mit­ted to the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion office on April 1, Sept. 1, and Dec. 1. More infor­ma­tion on how to apply will be made avail­able on the URFA web­site soon. 

What does it mean to have Preference?

Pref­er­ence rec­og­nizes expe­ri­ence and demon­strat­ed suc­cess of Ses­sion­als who have taught cours­es pre­vi­ous­ly at the U of R, Cam­pi­on, and Luther Col­leges. Pref­er­ence is grant­ed to those who have taught for three semes­ters in the pre­ced­ing three years with sat­is­fac­to­ry per­for­mance. Ses­sion­als main­tain their pref­er­en­tial sta­tus for a peri­od of two years fol­low­ing their last appointment.

Pref­er­ence between the U of R and Cam­pi­on and Luther Col­leges are sep­a­rate (i.e., you would have to teach for three semes­ters in the pre­ced­ing three years at both the U of R and Campion/​Luther to have pref­er­ence at either of these). 

There are ways of check­ing into course allo­ca­tions should you feel your pref­er­ence was not applied, or you were wrong­ly over­looked for a course. If this is the case, please con­tact URFA for assistance.

At FNUniv, ses­sion­als are con­sid­ered inter­nal can­di­dates if they have received a con­tract with­in a 13 month peri­od and receive pre-post­ing offers for a course if they are inter­nal can­di­dates and have taught that course three or more times.

What does it mean to have Priority?

At the Uni­ver­si­ty of Regi­na, Cam­pi­on and Luther Col­leges, pri­or­i­ty sta­tus shall be giv­en for ses­sion­al con­tracts to indi­vid­u­als who have com­plet­ed 25 or more ses­sion­al lec­tur­er con­tracts (2,500 hours for ESL or La Cité) in the past five years.

Can mem­bers have pref­er­ence and pri­or­i­ty in more than one fac­ul­ty or unit?

Mem­bers shall have pref­er­ence and pri­or­i­ty only in one fac­ul­ty or equiv­a­lent unit at a time; and the above eli­gi­bil­i­ty cri­te­ria must have been met with­in that unit alone. If a mem­ber is eli­gi­ble for pref­er­ence and pri­or­i­ty with­in mul­ti­ple units, the mem­ber shall choose to which unit their pref­er­ence and pri­or­i­ty shall apply.

How many cours­es do I have to teach before I gain access to Benefits?

You are eli­gi­ble for cer­tain ben­e­fits after you have been employed at the U of R, Cam­pi­on, and Luther for 390 hours or more over a peri­od of 26 con­sec­u­tive weeks. (To deter­mine hours of employ­ment, one three-cred­it-hour class is deemed the equiv­a­lent of 208 hours.) To main­tain eli­gi­bil­i­ty, you must work at least 624 hours in a cal­en­dar year.

At FNUniv , ses­sion­als are eli­gi­ble for ben­e­fits upon receipt of their sec­ond appoint­ment and main­tain eli­gi­bil­i­ty as long as they receive a con­tract with­in a 13-month period.

Do I have a Health and Well­ness Expense Account?

Unfor­tu­nate­ly, while tenured and tenure track pro­fes­sors have a Health and Well­ness account in addi­tion to their reg­u­lar ben­e­fits, ses­sion­al lec­tur­ers do not.

How long are ben­e­fits main­tained after I am no longer teach­ing any courses?

At Cam­pi­on, Luther, and the U of R, ben­e­fit eli­gi­bil­i­ty is main­tained if you work at least 624 hours in a cal­en­dar year.

At FNUniv, eli­gi­bil­i­ty is main­tained as long as you are assigned one course with­in a 13-month peri­od of your last appointment.

Am I enti­tled to Leave?

While you are enti­tled to sick days as a ses­sion­al lec­tur­er and you may apply for a per­son­al leave of up to five busi­ness days.

At the Uni­ver­si­ty of Regi­na, upon approval by the Dean, an aca­d­e­m­ic staff mem­ber hold­ing a ses­sion­al appoint­ment shall be grant­ed mater­ni­ty, adop­tion, or parental leave as out­lined by The Saskatchewan Employ­ment Act after hav­ing been employed by the Uni­ver­si­ty for more than 13 con­sec­u­tive weeks or hav­ing worked 1,560 hours in the pre­vi­ous 52 weeks

At Cam­pi­on, and Luther Col­leges, extend­ed sick leave and parental leave are restrict­ed to tenured and tenure-track aca­d­e­m­ic staff members.

Like full-time aca­d­e­m­ic staff, ses­sion­al mem­bers qual­i­fy for a Com­pas­sion­ate Care leave of up to 8 weeks relat­ed to ill­ness, injury, or death in the fam­i­ly, but only the first week is paid in full. 

At FNUniv, Ses­sion­al Aca­d­e­m­ic Staff Mem­bers receive paid parental and sick leave.

As these leaves and the lev­el of pay­ment are depen­dent on a num­ber of fac­tors and require­ments, mem­bers are encour­aged to dis­cuss the leave with the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion and/​or Human Resources.

As a Ses­sion­al, do I have the same lev­el of Aca­d­e­m­ic Free­dom as full time faculty?

Ses­sion­als are not exclud­ed from the pro­vi­sions for aca­d­e­m­ic free­dom in their respec­tive col­lec­tive agreements.

Are there oppor­tu­ni­ties for me to tran­si­tion to an Instruc­tor position?

Ses­sion­als at Cam­pi­on Col­lege and Luther Col­lege who have taught twen­ty-five cours­es or more with­in five con­sec­u­tive years at the respec­tive col­lege will be placed on the short list for any adver­tised instruc­tor positions.

Ses­sion­als at the U of R who have taught for five con­sec­u­tive years and taught twen­ty-five cours­es (2500 hrs) or more with­in a unit are eli­gi­ble for a right of first refusal to any instruc­tor posi­tion they are qual­i­fied for.

How Does URFA Com­mu­ni­cate with Members?

The Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion DOES NOT use the Uni­ver­si­ty list­servers to com­mu­ni­cate with our mem­bers; we main­tain and use our own data­base. It is impor­tant that we be able to com­mu­ni­cate with you through the most effi­cient means pos­si­ble. If you have not pro­vid­ed us with your e‑mail address please do so by con­tact­ing urfa@​uregina.​ca. Also, if you have moved recent­ly, or your mail­ing address changes, please con­tact the Fac­ul­ty Asso­ci­a­tion and pro­vide us with your new mail­ing address.

Am I still an URFA mem­ber if I’m not teach­ing a course this semester?

All Ses­sion­als are URFA mem­bers for 13 months from the first day of your last appoint­ment, with all the same rights, priv­i­leges, and vot­ing abil­i­ties of that membership.

I still have questions

You can always con­tact the URFA office at any time at urfa@​uregina.​ca or at 3065854378.