Holiday Message from President Britt Hall
On behalf of the Executive Committee at URFA, I want to wish you and your community a very happy end-of-term, holiday season, and New Year ahead!
It has been an incredibly busy year for URFA and I would like to acknowledge the hard work of our many member volunteers, as well as the staff who make our union work every single day.
URFA wouldn’t exist without the collective will and action of all of us together, so thank you for helping build our union into an organization we can all be proud of.
Looking ahead, 2023 is already promising to be a busy year — with several more units entering bargaining, emerging workplace matters to address, continued health & safety concerns related to the pandemic, and a growing list of political and economic issues that affect working people in the post-secondary sector.
We have a lot of work to do — and it will be more effective if we do it together.
As you’re considering any New Year’s Resolutions, I invite you to think about how you can engage with URFA and help build our union’s capacity to create change in the year ahead.
There are lots of opportunities to get involved! Just a few of the current opportunities open to all members are:
- URFA is seeking a money-savvy volunteer for a six-month term on URFA’s Finance Committee starting in January 2023. Volunteer for one meeting a month to help manage our union’s finances.
- We are looking for an alternate Returning Officer to help oversee our collective bargaining agreement votes. Volunteer on an as-needed basis to help make sure our voting processes are held to the highest standard.
- URFA’s Equity Committee currently has three vacancies for interested members to volunteer. Meetings are usually once a month — and members have access to special professional development opportunities like attending CAUT’s annual Equity Conference.
- URFA’s Sessional Advocacy Committee currently has five vacancies for sessionals to volunteer. Meetings are twice a month and the committee is currently working on a campaign and several events for 2023.
- The Canadian Association of University Teachers has a call out for members who are interested in participating in national committees on some of the big issues facing workers in post-secondary right now.
If any of these opportunities interest you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will follow up with more information on these opportunities and how to get involved.
If you’d like to get involved, but don’t see something that calls to you, reach out to us anyway — because there are plenty more opportunities that aren’t listed here!
As a union, let’s do great things in 2023. By working together, we can create the kind of change we want to see in the post-secondary sector.
I look forward to continuing to serve as your president in 2023, building stronger relationships with those of you who I know, and connecting with new members and those I haven’t yet had a chance to meet.
Wishing you a festive holiday season and restorative break before the new term begins.
P.S. The URFA office will be closed for the holidays starting December 23. If you need assistance in the meantime, please email email@example.com and when the office re-opens on January 3, our staff will respond as quickly as possible.